Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Disney Classic - Bambi

The Disney animated story, Bambi, follows the life of a young deer hailed as the 'Prince of the Forest' at his birth. This movie has been a classic tale for many generations passed and certainly several generations to come. Although kids these days are becoming progressively stranger and only watch over stimulating movies with such titles as Sunny with a Chance of Meatballs- I haven't seen the movie but the title leads me to believe that it is not nearly as meaningful as Bambi. Throughout his life, Bambi makes friends with many different animals in the forest; more specifically a rabbit named Thumper and skunk named Flower. The most memorable part of the entire film is without a doubt the death of Bambi's mother which was really the only scene I could remember from my childhood. As Bambi matures he finds love with the beautiful doe Faline, and experiences heroism when he saves his woodland friends from a vicious forest fire.

Unlike the African scenery of
The Lion King, I was able to relate to Bambi because the nature scenery and animals are nearly identical to the rural Saskatchewan area I've grown up in. This strong reliability also made the movie have a stronger impact on me as a child. Growing up I associated any white-spotted baby deer as being Bambi.

The antagonist in this animation is no doubt man as the hunters carelessly move through the forest destroying everything in their path and dangerously shooting at every animal in sight. I did not like this inaccurate portrayal of hunters but I suppose it was neces
sary in order for children to associate the hunters with evil. As a child I always hated that my dad was a hunter. I think was largely due to my imagination which related Bambi's story to real life.


A child's worst fear is that of losing a parent which is why the death of Bambi is such a fearful scene for many children. I read an article where a psychologist preached that children under the age of 7 should not be allowed to view Bambi as it is far to traumatizing. As a child I was not over-censored by my parents which is something that I am very grateful for. It is important for children to understand that nature is cruel and the circle of life is inevitable. Sadness for the death of any living thing is unstoppable and necessary but it is important for children to develop the ability to understand that death is a part of life. Disney films do not hide these themes from children which is why I think they are a great source of entertainment but also a crucial step in child development.

This is a classic movie that can be enjoyed in both childhood and adulthood. Bambi addresses many sensitive themes that are crucial for child development. If you haven't seen this movie than you should probably question your childhood.




No comments:

Post a Comment