Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Harsh Opinion on Miley Cyrus

A name that all of us are far too familar with is Miley Cyrus. Cyrus has followed the typical Disney star stereotype by trying her hand at dancing, singing and acting although many would dispute that she can't successfully do any of the three. Cyrus started her fame by playing the main role of a pop-singing teenage diva, Hannah Montana, on the hit TV series Hannah Montana. This role jump started her career as many little girls have become obsessed with the blonde superstar character she has portrayed. Since this role, Cyrus has tried to shed the her link to Hannah Montana by releasing several new albums and movies not involving the Hannah character

One of the new movies not linked to Hannah Montana is titled "The Last Song" which is based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks (author of "The Notebook"). I researched reviews on this movie and became skeptical to spend nearly $13 to go and watch it in theatres. One line in a review that stands out strongly to me is "death can not come quickly enough." After reading this review I expected to by more interested in my popcorn than the movie, but with my immature and girly taste in film the movie review proved wrong. I was actually pleasently surprised with this film and enjoyed the storyline of the film. Although I liked the film, I feel that Miley Cyrus became an early contender for worst actress of the decade. I would reccomend she sticks with Disney gigs and I only wish she could apply the title "The Last Song" to her singing career.

Acting was not enough for Cyrus and she decided that she needed to grace the world with her "musical talent" releasing several inspirational tracks including "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", and "Party in the USA" (note the sarcasm). But really, I have no right to beak Cyrus' music as I'm sure a couple of her songs are in the "most played" category on my iPod.

Perhaps I have been too hard on Cyrus in this review, it is possible that I'm speaking out of jealousy because I secretly wish that I could have become the next Disney starlet. Cyrus has released some music that is actually pretty good and to be perfectly honest Hannah Montana isn't the absolute worst show on television- that award goes to Paris Hilton's British Best Friend. But do I think she has earned her fame? No. Personally, I feel Cyrus had the right connections and knew the right people which allowed her to reach her super stardom. Her father, Billy-Ray Cyrus, likes to think of himself as a country singer with the unfortunate hit "Achy Breaky Heart." Because her father had links to the right people, Miley Cyrus had a smoothly paved highway to stardom rather than a rough dirt road that most other stars are familiar with.

I think that the main reason so many people dislike Miley Cyrus is because Disney over-brands every character they have ever invented! It is hard not to get annoyed when you can buy virtually anything with the Hannah Montanna brand on it. Miley Cyrus has accomplished great feets in her career and is only at the young age of 17. But not to worry, you won't have to hear about her for much longer- if history repeats itself Cyrus will drug overdose in due time like most other Disney stars.









No comments:

Post a Comment